Dr. McCormick and the Vermont Laser Vision team are pleased to offer one of the major LASIK technology breakthroughs, the Femtosecond Laser, a blade-free approach to laser vision correction. The first company to market this product was Intralase Corp. Ziemer Ophthalmic Systems received FDA clearance in 2007 for its Da Vinci Femtosecond Laser, an advanced method of All Laser LASIK. The Da Vinci Femtosecond laser uses more precisely focused laser pulses at thousands of times less energy per pulse than Intralase.
Facts about Femtosecond Laser LASIK
- The safety profile of femtosecond lasers has been demonstrated in over 1 million cases.
- The U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps have all approved, and strongly recommend femtosecond lasers for use on their personnel.
- The NASA space agency has also approved femtosecond lasers for astronauts
- Femtosecond lasers have a track record of enhanced safety.
- Z-LASIK is a LASIK procedure performed with the Ziemer FEMTO LDV femtosecond Surgical Laser in conjunction with any one of the leading excimer lasers. After the femtosecond laser creates the corneal flap, the excimer laser is used to correct vision. At Vermont Laser Vision, the excimer laser treatments are performed with the VISX Star S4 laser with Iris Registration.
Click here for a Z-LASIK animation produced by the manufacturer